Monday, January 26, 2009

What a Week-part 3

If you haven't read parts one and two... go here & here.

As of this writing, John is still in the hospital, although I will be going to get him tomorrow.

The day after he had the nephrostomy tube placed, Dr. Barney came in and told us that they found puss in his kidney when they did the procedure. So they were going to keep him for at least the weekend. I came home.

So Saturday morning I got a call from his grandson (Jeremy lives in GJ) saying John wanted to talk to me. He said he woke up in the middle of the night sopping wet. So the nurses changed him and he went back to sleep and when they woke him to take his pills and eat, he was soaking wet again. The suprapubic tube was leaking. They didn't know why. (No one took the time to figure it out until Sunday. It was clogged and they had to flush it.)

On Sunday, they had him get up and walk around because he had water on his lungs again. They didn't want him to get pneumonia. Because he is on oxygen and he is in need of something to hold on to, they usually give him a wheelchair to push around (he can also sit if he gets too tired.)

He called me this morning to tell me that they would probably send him home today and I should try to get ahold of Dr. Barney to check. So I put the call in and waited all day. Got the call from the Doc at about 4:45. They are going to send John home with a 4-wheeled walker that has brakes. (One thing I love about the VA... if you need anything to help you with your life, they send it home with you. We don't have to go out and buy it, or wait for insurance to approve it.)
John was sure to call me and make sure I knew that he was coming home! He is so cute. (I can imagine he is more than ready to come home after nearly 2 wks in the hospital!)

So the vigil ends! Whew! I am off to go Divine Digital and step into the Chat Room with Michelle.

TTFN... Tess

No comments: